Saturday, October 20, 2012

Lucy


Hello again! I'm still sort of getting the blog off the ground, but I thought I would use this post to introduce my bird, Lucy!

She's a blue Indian ringneck and 14 years old.  I have to specify that she is blue, because Indian ringnecks can be a whole variety of colors:  green (most common), blue, white, yellow, and grey. 

I’ve always preferred birds to cats and dogs, and Lucy does talk.  One of her favorite phrases is “What doin’?”  I am convinced that she knows what this means because she always asks it at really appropriate times, like when I am cleaning for instance. 

She loves to be wet and enjoys going in the shower and being misted with a water bottle.  She also likes it when I just hold a hose on her to completely soak her!  And sometimes she still wants to be even more wet! 

We've always had a special relationship.  Many believe that birds aren't really affectionate pets, but that is just not true!  Lucy cuddles with me every day;  she likes to hide in my hair, give little birdie kisses, and even cuddles with me in a blanket. 

Here are a couple pictures of her, wet and dry:




 
 
 

I realized that If I had to choose, I would rather have birds than airplanes.  - Charles Lindbergh (1902 - 1974), Interview shortly before his death, 1974
Hope, by Emily Dickinson
Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune--without the words,
And never stops at all,
And sweetest in the gale is heard;
And sore must be the storm
That could abash the little bird
That kept so many warm.
I've heard it in the chillest land,
And on the strangest sea;
Yet, never, in extremity,
It asked a crumb of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment