Saturday, October 20, 2012

A Visit With Mrs. Miniver

A few weeks ago, my apartment complex was having the roofs replaced due to damage that occurred in a hail storm back in June.  The noise was outrageously loud, and I simply had to get out of the apartment. 

The night before, I had watched Madame Curie, an enjoyable biopic (however lacking in fact) starring Greer Garson and Walter Pidgeon.  I've always been a fan of Greer Garson, especially in films such as Mrs. Miniver and Random Harvest.  As a result of a bit of googling, I learned that Greer Garson is actually buried in Dallas!  I am moving in January, but I thought that visiting her grave would definitely be something I'd like to do before leaving Texas. 



After looking up the address for the Sparkman - Hillcrest Memorial Park Cemetery, I set out on my quest to visit Ms. Garson's final resting place.  I made a quick stop at the grocery store to pick up some flowers. 

One thing I learned on this adventure is that one must always know a plot or site number for whomever you are looking to visit before just wandering into a cemetery.  I did not know this information however, and I ended up walking around for quite awhile.  I also came across the grave of Tom Landry, and anyone who knows me at all knows how I feel about Texas and Texas sports teams.  Out of respect for the dead, I didn't think Mr. Landry would enjoy a Miami Dolphins fan visiting his grave anyway, so I moved on.  :)  Apparently Mickey Mantle is also buried in this cemetery, but I never happened upon that site. 

Finally I reached the burial site of Greer Garson and her husband.  Apparently in 1949, she married E.E "Buddy" Fogelson, a Texas oil millionaire.  They have their own section of the cemetery known as Fogelson Triangle. 


I spent a few moments reflecting on Greer Garson, and the joy that her movies have brought me personally.  She often portrayed strong, but graceful women with high ideals and an unpompous and gracious sense of propriety. 



Later in the day, I began wanting to see other Greer Garson films that I had not yet seen, which led me to The Valley of Decision and Mrs. Parkington.

The Valley of Decision is a wonderful story that takes place in Pittsburgh in the late 19th century about a young, Irish house maid who falls in love with the son (played by Gregory Peck) of her employer who owns a local steel mill.  The film is based on a book by Marcia Davenport, which I plan to read very soon! I loved the movie.  What could be a better combination for a story like that than Greer Garson and Gregory Peck?!   Also a part of the cast was Donald Crisp, Gladys Cooper, Dan Duryea, Lionel Barrymore, and a very young Jessica Tandy.  Whew! 



Mrs. Parkington is another movie based on a novel, but this time by Louis Bromfield.  And I of course also plan to read that book very soon, as I loved this film as well!  It basically tells the tale of a family saga through flashbacks of an elderly Mrs. Parkington's memories.  Greed and personal failures/successes are major themes.  Greer Garson is joined once again by Walter Pidgeon (they made 8 films together) as well as Gladys Cooper, Dan Duryea, Peter Lawford, Tom Drake, Edward Arnold, and Agnes Moorehead, who won the Golden Globe for Best Supporting Actress for her performance.  Greer Garson plays both the young and elderly roles of Mrs. Parkington, and as usual does an enormously classy job! 



I am in the process of seeking out a few more Greer Garson films that have thus far eluded me:  Blossoms in the Dust, and Julia Misbehaves.  More on those later!

Incidentally, Greer Garson is credited in the Guiness Book of World Records for delivering the longest Oscar acceptance speech for Best Actress in Mrs. Miniver.  Clocking at 5 min. and 30 seconds, the speech prompted the Academy to institute a time limit. 

Thanks for reading, and I'll close with this lovely image of Greer Garson, herself.  :)



1 comment: