Saturday, December 21, 2013

A Cradle in Bethlehem and Other Christmas Favorites


For the past few years, I've been collecting classic Christmas music, LOTS of it, and creating Christmas mix CDs to give to my friends and family.  It's a fairly inexpensive but effective way to spread the Christmas spirit, and I was surprised to find how little Christmas music most of them already had. 

My absolute favorite Christmas recording is Bing Crosby singing 'Do You Hear What I Hear?"  I didn't say that was my favorite Christmas song, but I think that Bing's voice lends itself so well to this song, and the accompaniment behind him is glorious. 


Of course we can't forget Bing singing "White Christmas" for the first time in the classic holiday film, Holiday Inn (1942)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHu6rlK953g


I also love Bing Crosby's collaborations with The Andrews Sisters.


Judy Garland singing "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" in Meet Me in St. Louis (1944) never fails to make me cry. 



My favorite singer of all time is Ella Fitzgerald, and her album entitled Ella Fitzgerald's Christmas is one of my very favorites. 




This Christmas, I also discovered a song I'd never heard before.  "A Cradle in Bethlehem" by Nat King Cole.

 
Enjoy the songs, and Merry Christmas!
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment