Sunday, February 24, 2013

The White Cliffs of Dover and Vera Lynn


I've just discovered a new singer that I can add to my list of favorites, and as is pretty typical for me, I came across her by way of the movies. 

Last night I was watching The White Cliffs of Dover (1944) starring Irene Dunne and a supporting cast that included Alan Marshal, Frank Morgan, Van Johnson, Gladys Cooper, Dame May Whitty, Peter Lawford, Roddy McDowall, and uncredited Elizabeth Taylor (just before National Velvet) and June Lockhart. 

The story is about an American woman living in England during both world wars.  She loses her husband in the first World War, and the film opens with her waiting for word on her son who is fighting in the second.  It then flashes back to the beginning of the story.  Though perhaps not of the same quality as Mrs. Miniver, I found it to be a very effective and moving homefront war film from both the English and American standpoint. 



The story begins when Susan Dunn (Irene Dunne) and her father (Frank Morgan) visit England for a week and Susan falls in love with and eventually marries a wealthy English army officer.  The story continues to unfold from there, but throughout the course of the film, Susan continually longs to return to her home in the United States.  Perhaps among the most powerful scenes in the film are when the American army enters each war and marches into England playing The Stars and Stripes Forever, Over There, and When Johnny Comes Marching Home.  It is easy to feel along with Susan her loyalty to her country and her nostalgia for her home.  This is probably one of, if not the best of Irene Dunne's film performances.  Often playing comedic roles, she was just as wonderful in the serious part of a homesick American longing for her English husband and son away at two different wars. 

As I started looking up the movie The White Cliffs of Dover on the internet, I came across a song by the same title sung by Vera Lynn.  This song does not appear in the movie.  Since I love music from the same time period as my movies, I thought I'd give it a listen.  I was pleased to hear a lovely song, and a lovely voice.   Here it is:

 
 
I am really excited to explore more of Vera Lynn's music!  I hope you have enjoyed it.  
 

2 comments:

  1. I was born in 1961 and growing up in Australia I watched all these movies on TV. My mother played the piano, "White Cliffs of Dover" and "Begin the Beguine" were her favourites. I might still have the sheet music from the 1940s.

    Another wartime British singer was Gracie Fields, very interesting lady and she sang comedic songs. A movie to look out for, if you haven't seen it already, is "Waterloo Bridge" with Vivien Leigh and Robert Taylor.

    Lovely little blog you have here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment! You are the first one who isn't a close friend of mine! I love music and movies from the 1940's. Waterloo Bridge is actually on my Amazon wish list, so I'll probably be getting that one soon. I'll have to check out Gracie Fields too!

    ReplyDelete